Benny’s Mac and Cheese in a Pan
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready Time:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni or any sturdy pasta of your choice
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Panko Bread Crumbs or regular ones will do but I like Panko
2 cups of your favorite cheese blend I like this combo:
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Prepare the pasta according to the box but cook it one minute under and set aside.
If you are doing this ahead of time add a little butter for it not to stick.
Combine the half and half, eggs, salt, pepper , butter and vegetable oil and bacon fat in a cold pan now turn on the heat to medium and start to stir bringing to a good simmer almost boiling but not quite. Now add the cheese and whisk until it is melted taste for seasoning and adjust. Now add the pasta and toss to incorporate or stir carefully not to break up the pasta. Once blended let sauce tighten up around the pasta and do one of the following:
1. Divide into different baking dishes sprinkle Panko bread crumbs on top and put under the broiler until they are nice and crunchy. It will be crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside.
2. Sprinkle the Panko on top of the entire pan and put it under the broiler until its browned and crunchy. You can then serve it right from the pan or serve on a plate.
That should do it!