Spicy Tofu and Chicken Curry
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready Time:
- one pound firm tofu or chicken
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce and soy sauce
- one onion
- 5 cloves of garlic rough chop
- 3 or 4 holland chillies
- large knob of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground Tumeric
- 2 lemongrass stalks outter leaves removed and cut into pieces
- grapeseed oil
- One cinnamon stick and 2 star anise
- juice of half a lime
- fresh cilantro
- rice for serving
- kosher salt and pepper
- one cup half and half or coconut milk
Start by combining all the curry paste ingredients into a food processor , blitz and drizzle in a little grapeseed oil in until its a paste.
In a hot pan with some grape seed oil (or vegetable oil) drop in the paste and start cooking it out for a few min. Now add the turmeric and continue cooking.
Cut up the chicken and tofu into bit sized pieces and season with salt and pepper, add to the paste and continue cooking for 5 min until just cooked. Now add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, sugar, cinnamon , coconut milk, lime juice, fish and soy sauce, chicken stock and cook uncovered for about 45 min or until the sauce has reduced to a good thickness . Make sure to taste and adjust the flavors to your liking. Maybe a little more sugar or fish sauce it all depends on you.
To serve skim off any excess oil from the surface. Plate with some rice (I used brown as it is so much better for you remember white rice is basically sugar to your body) and finish with some fresh chopped chili for extra heat and some fresh cilantro.